Common App Essay Prompts 2020-2021
Updated: Mar 23
The Common App essay prompts for 2020-2021 will remain the same as last year. The Common App polled counselors, students, teachers and administration officers and 95% of them agreed that the prompts were effective in helping students write their personal essays. Students love the prompt 'Choose a topic of your choice' because it gives them the freedom to write about anything.
2020-2021 Common Application Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.